Procmail - Sendmail - SpamAssassin - Webmin - problems getting them to work smoothly

2006-11-29 12:55:28
Hi,
  I've finally got totally fed up with all my spam and decided to do something
about it. I'll try and be as brief as possible and not post too large a message.

I use Webmin, and SSH to administer my server. I use Sendmail for email. I've
got a 100 or so virtual servers setup using VirtualMin (Webmin).

What I'm trying to achieve is having spamassassin running, and deleting mail
that is most likely spam, and having a spam mailbox for each virtual host that
wants one. I also want users to be able to configure their own procmailrc
settings to enable or disable spamassassin if they so choose.

I have SpamAssassin running and happily marking spam emails. (Running smoothly
now, been about 2 weeks of headaches so far).
SpamAssassin is started with:-
/usr/bin/spamd -d -u nobody

In my procmailrc file I have:-
DROPPRIVS=yes
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamc

:0:
/dev/null
#almost-certainly-spam

:0:

This is working, BUT..
Spam is put in probably-spam, but it's also going to the users mailbox. It's
definitely going though procmailrc as it's got he [SPAM] header and report
added by spamassassin. So I guess it's coming back to SendMail which is using
Virtusertable to deliver the mail to the user.

I've found some info on updating virtusertable so that it uses procmail again
with a new rc file, but VirtualMin creates this file automatically, I can't be
manually editing it everytime a new virtual server or email address is created.
Surely there are thousands of servers with this same Webmin SendMail Procmail
SpamAssassin setup, there must be an automated way of doing it?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Lyle