Re: procmail-formail-sendmail not spoofing From addr

2007-05-20 09:35:59
On 5/19/07, matt(_at_)c3p0(_dot_)reverse(_dot_)net
<matt(_at_)c3p0(_dot_)reverse(_dot_)net> wrote:

I wrote the following code for my .procmailrc file.  It mainly works fine,
fowarding the body of the received "test(_at_)mydomain" msg to the new address
after replacing the subject, but it will not spoof the "From:" or
"Reply-To:" address.  Instead, it always shows as being from my main
account.

My guess is that your $SENDMAIL is inserting a Sender: header and that
the handheld device is choosing to show that address preferentially.
If you can examine the full message header after the message has been
re-sent, you should do so.

If that's the case, then Dallman is correct (except that I believe he
has his sendmail option syntax wrong):  You're going to need

$SENDMAIL -oi -f test(_at_)resendingdomain mydevice(_at_)receivingdomain

You're also going to need the standard lecture about how
"mydomain.com" is a real place so you shouldn't use it in examples.
:-)

Incidentally given that you know the mydevice(_at_)receivingdomain address
you should put it explicitly on the sendmail command line, as I did in
my example above, rather than using the -t option.  Consider that you
have not removed the Cc: header from the original message.  $SENDMAIL
-t will read addresses from there as well, and send fresh copies of
the message to anyone who was Cc'd on the original, which you probably
didn't intend.

Also, do you really want to replace the To: header?  What if there was
more than one address there to begin with?  Don't you want that
information when the message reaches your handheld?