passing variable from called shell script back up to procmail ?

2007-06-09 08:06:54
I've got a procmail recipe that calls a shell script.

The shell script knows the value of the variables in the procmail
recipe.

Yet when the shell script modifies the value of a variable, it does not
get
passed back up to the procmail recipe.  That is, the procmail recipe
only
knows the original value, before the shell script was called.

Is there a way to change that behavior ?

In my case I'm working with Smartlist, so in case there is something
specific to
smartlist, I will ask my question again.

I running  a modified version of Smartlist, in paricular I have
modified X_COMMAND (shell script)

So when rc.request (procmail recipe) calls x_command, x_command knows
the values of the variables that were set in rc.request.

However, if I modify one of these variable in the shell script of
x_command, then rc.request does not know the new value.

Is there a work around to get these values to go back up to the calling
procedure ?

Thank you.

mark