Re: processing inbox maildirs with formail

2007-08-30 14:23:44
On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 16:24:15 PM -0700, Bart Schaefer
(barton(_dot_)schaefer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com) wrote:

There is no such thing as a unix/linux program that reads a
directory as standard input... If you had a background in the
original unix programming philosophy, you would not be surprised

I do have that background, even if I have never done heavy mailbox
processing before: "everything is a file", use pipes, redirect STDIN
and STDOUT, etc...

For the same reason I know very well that there are thousands of
wrappers for every conceivable purpose. Therefore, since maildir
didn't appear out of the blue yesterday, I simply gave for granted
that formail could wrap itself in that mode, or that such wrappers
would be widely known and quoted. That's it, really.

Thanks to all who helped. I am reworking the bash script and loops to
call formail because I have realized I need to change something
else. Probably I will come back next week with a couple of small
questions for a couple of corner cases, but the scenario looks much
simpler thanks to your explanation.

Later,
        Marco
--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software
http://digifreedom.net/