Re: Auto inclusion of recipe in headeras

2007-11-29 08:30:31
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software Engineering)
writes:

At 12:21 2007-11-28 -0600, reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com wrote:
Its supposed to allow me to quickly see what filter captured what
string, but I want this to happen automatically.

Yea, let me know how that turns out for you.  Logfiles work pretty well for
this, and you can always prefix your individual recipes with setting a
recipe name:

It is handy but has the problem I mentioned of having to keep up with
it manually in two places.   Logfiles are a painfull way to do this in
my opinion.  I've long ago written scripts that extract log info by
finding a mesg-id and spitting out that section from procmail.log.

But you have to check the mail then run the script, then look at .procmailrc
and alter if needed.... etc etc do it all again and again maybe.

RULE=Joe25
:0:
* whatever conditions
| formail -A "X-HPmatch: ${MATCH}" -A "X-Rule: ${RULE}" > somemailbox.mbx

This suffers from the same problem but probably at much slower
frequency and might well be a better way to go.  But here again you'd
need to work with .procmailrc open, the mail open and the log file or
parts of it in view.

What I'm trying to do, circumvents the log in most cases.  I look at
the mail headers and go straigt to .procmailrc and know exactly what
to edit in one look.  (Most times anyway).

Of course some things take a more ambitious appoach..

[...]

If it were truly automatable, that'd be great, but I don't see how
you'd accomplish that.  TRAP could conceivably be used, but that'd
get ugly fast.

Not sure I get your meaning above... can you elaborate a bit?  Maybe a
simplified example of using TRAP in such a way?  It might not be so
ugly for me since my volume is probably some tiny percentage of yours.

I find myself adjusting the filter but then forgetting to hand edit
the formail run that includes it in the header.

Conversely, automating a process can allow you to automatically screw
things up...

Now that is probably the biggest downside  .. hehe