Re: [pro] Deleting mail destined for root with the -d flag

2008-01-25 12:31:59
Here is an update:-
I edited and regenerated /etc/aliases
I found lines:-
#webmaster:     root
#noc:           root
#security:      root
#hostmaster:    root
#info:          postmaster
#marketing:     postmaster
#sales:         postmaster
#support:       postmaster
Which as you can see I commented out.

I also edited and regenerated /etc/mail/virtusertable and removed any
catch alls I found on domains I'm not using...

I semi-manually cleaned out a load of emails from the queue using some
perl scripts I've made, restarted sendmail.

However things still seem to be backing up again :(

Taking a closer look at the sendmail qf that related to the ones that
seem to be generating the procmail -d flags, they do indeed relate to
the /etc/aliases file, I've been wondering why mail with
uucp(_at_)somedomainofmine(_dot_)com keeps hitting procmail, looking at
/etc/aliases there are:-

# General redirections for pseudo accounts.
bin:            root
daemon:         root
adm:            root
lp:             root
sync:           root
shutdown:       root
halt:           root
mail:           root
news:           root
uucp:           root
operator:       root
games:          root
gopher:         root
ftp:            root
nobody:         root
radiusd:        root
nut:            root
dbus:           root
vcsa:           root
canna:          root
wnn:            root
rpm:            root
nscd:           root
pcap:           root
apache:         root
webalizer:      root
dovecot:        root
fax:            root
quagga:         root
radvd:          root
pvm:            root
amanda:         root
privoxy:        root
ident:          root
named:          root
xfs:            root
gdm:            root
mailnull:       root
postgres:       root
sshd:           root
smmsp:          root
postfix:        root
netdump:        root
ldap:           root
squid:          root
ntp:            root
mysql:          root
desktop:        root
rpcuser:        root
rpc:            root
nfsnobody:      root

ingres:         root
system:         root
toor:           root
manager:        root
dumper:         root
abuse:          root

newsadm:        news
newsadmin:      news
usenet:         news
ftpadm:         ftp
ftpadmin:       ftp
ftp-adm:        ftp
ftp-admin:      ftp

Now would it be safe to comment a load of these out? Or are these
'pseudo account' aliases important?? Or would it be better off adding the

@somedomain.com  error:550 "Spam problems. Try ..."

to virtusertable for every domain I have (100+)...

Lookin even closer at the sendmail qf, each one that is passed to
procmail with -d root has RPFDA:root just above the headers, such as:-
rRFC822; uucp(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
RPFDA:root
H?P?Return-Path: <^Ãg>

I've tried making procmail rules for this such as:-
:0
* ^RPFDA:root
/dev/null

But that doesn't seems to work, I guess it's because it's not a proper
header (no H?P?), as procmail has the -d flag, I don't see why it
doesn't have a method to controlling mail forwarded with the -d flag...

Lyle