Re: "redeliver" email in /var/spool/mail to proper, user Maildir?

2008-04-23 12:13:33
Robert Kuropkat wrote:
All,

This has got to be a FAQ style question, but either I'm not seeing the
answer or I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading.

I have a problem where autofs is failing on me to the effect the home
directories "disappear" until it is restarted.  In the interim, procmail
can not deliver messages properly so it dumps then in
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME.

Ignoring for the moment the broken infrastructure, once I restart
autofs, is there a way to "redeliver" the emails that have accumulated
in /var/spool/mail for all users?

You can use formail to pick the mailbox apart and redeliver the
individual messages.  This is essentially what I do with my own
personal mail - deliver to the standard mailbox, move the messages
to a file unknown to the email system, and then use formail and
procmail to deliver into the correct bins.  My bins happen to be
other mbox-formatted files but it would be trivial to use maildirs
instead.