Re: Configuring Procmail to work with with Alpine 1.10 and Spamassassin 3.2.4

2008-05-23 03:38:22
Bart

LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log

This probably doesn't work:  You are running procmail from .forward,
so superuser privilege has already been revoked before /etc/procmailrc
is read and /var/log is unlikely to be writable by the ordinary user.
Even so, if this must be in /etc/procmailrc you should consider adding

Okay, I'll cut that.

:0:

That means to deliver all mail that *is* discovered to be spam into
the Inbox file, which is almost certainly the exact opposite of what
you want.

Sorry, that was a typo.  Should read as ... /home/user/mail/Spam.
However, nothing is arriving in the Spam folder.

Also, are you sure that the Inbox file is maintained in a format that
procmail is able to write?  Alpine adds at least one and possibly more
new mailbox formats that procmail does not understand.

Maildir.  The maildir patch has been successfully applied when Alpine
was compiled from source.  Can't change from Maildir.  All of my mail
is in that format.

:0
        * ^TO.*
        richard

This is largely meaningless; it matches any message that has a To: (or
Cc: or Bcc: etc.) header, no matter what is in that header.  Combined
with the previous rule, all your spam is going to the Inbox and
everything else is going to the "user" file.

Hmmm... which bit to change.

in my $HOME directory I have a .forward file which contains..  "|IFS=
/usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75#user"

Are you certain that your mail delivery agent allows you to run
/usr/bin/procmail from .forward?  There may be restrictions on which
programs or paths can be used here, for security.  If your MDA is
sendmail, try looking for documentation on "smrsh".

It's Postfix.  OpenSuSE 10.3.  Only wants to work if I put the
.forward file in the home directory.  I suppose I could put a line
into /etc/postfix/main.cf but a Google search hasn't so far revealed
what that could be.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

--
Richard