RE: FROM_DAEMON on preventing loops

2008-09-29 22:05:22
Skip Morrow wrote Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:45 AM:

[Dallman Ross wrote:]

       SPACE = ' '
       TAB = '       '  # a real tab
       WS = $SPACE$TAB

       :0
       * $
^X-BeenThere:[$WS]*procmail(_at_)lists[(_dot_)]RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
       {
          :0 c
          * $! ^X-Loop:[$WS]*pelorus[.]org
          | formail -A "X-Loop: pelorus.org" |\
            "$SENDMAIL" $SENDMAILFLAGS
skip(_dot_)x(_dot_)mobile(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

          SWITCHRC
       }

      [Or if you] prefer in any event, use, instead, your

        :0:
        "$DEFAULT"

Like I said, I see that you are not using the FROM_DAEMON and
FROM_MAILER conditions.  It has been suggested that these
conditions are quite important because if a message that was
forwarded to another server bounces back, some servers may

There were a couple of messages I didn't read.  I trade
stocks for a living.  Been kind of busy with that. :-)

send the original message back as an attachment, in which
case the X-Loop header would not be seen.  This seems to be
an important step to take to ensure loops do not occur, so I
was reluctant to remove those conditions from my recipes, but

I think there is some confusion here about what you need.
First of all, you shouldn't need both ^FROM_DAEMON and
^FROM_MAILER.  One is a superset of the other.

But I don't understand why people think you need them for
this use.  If a daemon bounced the mail, the X-BeenThere:
header-name will not be in the header of the bounce.  It will
be in the body, but that won't bother you at all.  The
conditions only look in the header unless specifically
told to look in the body, which you did not do (nor did I).

it was the only way I could seem to get them to work.  I was
hoping someone here could offer an alternative.  Perhaps a
recipe targeted specifically at the format of a google bounce
message?  I thought about that but for the life of me, I

A Gmail bounce message will not include X-BeenThere: in its
header.  Or the header-name you were using, for that matter.

Dallman