RE: FROM_DAEMON on preventing loops

2008-10-13 20:56:34
Skip Morrow wrote back on > Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:34 AM:

[Someone uncredited wrote:]

      I guess the real question is why are you using FROM_DAEMON?

I asked the same thing--that was my original question.  It
was stated here that sometimes servers will send the original
message back as as attachment, or as part of the body, in
which case X-Loop headers may be missed, so these are
included as a fail safe.

I am not entirely sure the above remark ever got adequately
rebutted.  I myself wrote about it earlier but saw no reply
from Skip.  I've been out of town, so if this was covered,
I apologize.

Your recipe was intended to catch procmail list messages forwarded
from another account, as I recall.  The X-BeenThere: headerfield will
be there and the list message can be found thereby and delivered
to your mailbox as desired.  Should something go awry and the
mail be bounced, well, it's true that the X-Loop headerfield will no
longer be visible in the daemon header; but neither will the X-BeenThere
or other list-specific headerfield.  You won't be capturing the
bounce with a recipe designed to sequester procmail-list messages
anyway.  Remember that conditions by default only look in the header,
not the body.  You have to override the default to look in the body.

In short, your worries seem misplaced in this instance.  The
X-Loop is important to use when you send mail out from procmail,
and it's important to test for to stop loops; but it's not going
to be a consideration in stopping daemons, which we can stop in
their own right with the appropriate daemon macro.

Dallman