RE: Adjusting FROM_DAEMON

2009-04-17 20:23:03
Professional Software Engineering wrote Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:20:

At 18:22 2009-04-17 -0400, RGBall wrote:

The place to start is with the full email of something that
always gets caught, then break the above rule into two
individually scored ones (FROM_DAEMON as one, the rest is the
other) to see which one triggers.  That should get you closer.

Let me further elaborate Rich's suggestion:

Take one of the rejected messages, complete with headers, and
store it into a file.

Take the core of the recipe which is your bane, and put it into a
standalone rcfile, like so:

[snip]

Now, pipe your message into it:

procmail -m funky.rc < funky.msg

[snip]

I'm going to offer up my suspicion: these users may have
challenge-response systems at their ISPs which may be setting
up an envelope that involves a unique bounce handler alias
(so that delivery notices get delivered to the user rather
than being challenged).  As such, the envelope address may be
matching the regexp, and then rejecting these users.

Actually, what the OP said seems to be the case.  Let me back
up by saying I'm not much enamored of his recipe.  I'll quickly
state a couple of things about it below.  But basically,
I took a sample message I had sitting around, ran it
through

  :0
  * ^FROM_DAEMON
  { LOG = "Kilroy was here
" }

and tested that.  Of course, it did not descend to the action brace-set.

Then I edited the From: address in the message and added "-mail" before
the "@" sign and did the test again.  It does match.

That aside, some things I don't like about the OP's recipe is
its unnecessary complexity, the fact that there are presumptive
tabs that are actually only multiple spaces,[1] and the use of both
scoring and the empty brace set when one or the other would suffice.

Here's what I'd probably do:

   :0 : named.lock
   * ^FROM_DAEMON
   * !^From:.*-mail@
   | action_line >> whatever

[1] He did have actual tabs elsewhere in his message, so it isn't
just that the tabs disappeared in the sending to the list.