Re: Adjusting FROM_DAEMON

2009-04-21 20:53:53

Actually, what the OP said seems to be the case.  Let me back
up by saying I'm not much enamored of his recipe.  I'll quickly
state a couple of things about it below.  But basically,
I took a sample message I had sitting around, ran it
through

Dallman

Thanks for your feedback. And I cannot take credit for the recipe, as it's from Smartlist in the rc.submit routine.

My version may be a bit old, and I may have tweaked it a number of years ago. But complicated regexp's are not in my skill set. Here's the current version from Smartlist

#
# The following recipe makes sure that:
#       The mail has a sane size (i.e. it is not inordinately big)
#       It does not look like an administrative request.
#       It wasn't sent by this list itself.
#       It wasn't sent by a daemon (misdirected bounce message perhaps).
#

:0
* < $size_limit
* !$^($X_COMMAND:|X-Loop: $\listaddr)
* ! B ?? $^^$X_COMMAND:
* $$daemon_bias
* -100^0 ^FROM_MAILER|\
         ^(((Resent-)?(From|Sender)|X-Envelope-From):|>?From )\
          ([^>]*[^((_dot_)%(_at_)a-z0-9])?(\
           LIST(SERV|proc)|NETSERV|bounce|autoanswer|echo|mirror\
)(([^).!:a-z0-9][-_a-z0-9]*)?[%@> ][^<)]*(\(.*\).*)?)?$ ([^>]|$)
* 1^0

* B ?? >640
* 9876543210^0
{ }

The documentation says FROM_MAILER is a subset of FROM_DAEMON.

 :0
 * ^FROM_DAEMON
 { LOG = "Kilroy was here
" }

and tested that. Of course, it did not descend to the action brace- set.

Then I edited the From: address in the message and added "-mail" before
the "@" sign and did the test again.  It does match.

That aside, some things I don't like about the OP's recipe is
its unnecessary complexity, the fact that there are presumptive
tabs that are actually only multiple spaces,[1] and the use of both
scoring and the empty brace set when one or the other would suffice.

Here's what I'd probably do:

  :0 : named.lock
  * ^FROM_DAEMON
  * !^From:.*-mail@
  | action_line >> whatever

I really like your idea of negating problem email addresses, and am going to think about reworking that part of Smartlist.

In addition to -mail I could negate the admin(istrator) type stuff too, and add additional exceptions to them as they come up.

And I guess I need to remove the Friendly Name from the From: header before comparing it to FROM_DAEMON so that parenthesis do not trip me up in the future.

Thanks again for all of your help !

mark