Re: How to provoc an procmail error to force REQUEING?

2009-11-05 21:41:21
At 00:33 2009-11-06 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:

So, what I want is, if "wget" can not download anything do to a  network
error  and  the  output  is  empty,  the  message  should  stay  in  the
courier-mta queue and ist try to re-deliver 10 minutes later again.

Ah, are you getting messages with URLs, and then from within procmail, trying to _retrieve_ the URL? Do these need to be processed in conjunction with the individual messages? If not, I'd seriously consider extracting the necessary URL data and pumping it into a separate queue, which is processed (and cleared on success) by an external script. As far as procmail is concerned, it's job done when it extracts the URL and passes it along to the external script, which can manage retries.

So, how can I make procmail to stop processing the RSS-Mail and  instead
sending an Error/ExitStatus to the MTA, that there is a temporary error.

EX_TEMPFAIL (defined in the system include file sysexits.h), is the code to return - IF your MTA is going to retry. This is the '75' magic number Mr. Peeler offered up.

If that doesn't work for you, and you really need to use the mail system to manage your retry logic, you could deliver the messages to a different local user, and have (gawd) a local fetchmail operation in place to grab from that mailbox. By the same token, a single-user approach would be to store failing messages (with a proper lockfile strategy) to a mailbox or mailfolder, and have a cron job that checks for presence of messages AND connectivity - if both test true, start calling procmail with each message. I'd consider moving the messages to a different directory during processing, and checking for network failure between each message. Of course, chances are the network failure is a REMOTE failure, not your own connection - else you can expect to have a single message at a time in the queue because the net went down right after you managed to receive a message. Can't imagine you'd have a stack of such messages, though perhaps your email ends up being more persistent than your wget...