Using procmail to organize PDF files

2009-11-16 14:37:14
I've needed a PDF tool that would do what iTunes does for tunes.  That
is, organize the PDFs into a file tree based on the content and
metadata of the PDF file.  It occured to me that procmail may be the
best tool for the job.

I've posted a script that takes the first step, and composes a phony
email using information extracted from PDF files, and enables the
email to be scored and handled procmail-style:

  http://paperless.wikia.com/wiki/PDF_content_based_automated_filing

Another feature of this would be to store the phony email in a way
that produces a searchable index of the PDF files.

I'd like to know if this generates any interest.  If anyone gets the
urge to pursue the same capability, contributions to a library of
generic procmail scripts for this purpose would be quite welcome.
Feel free to add to the wiki.