Re: procmail / formail - changing the From address?

2010-11-15 19:21:41

On 16/11/2010 12:09, RGBall wrote:
Have you tried setting the Reply-To: address or Errors-To: address?

It is my understanding that the Return-Path: header is not supposed to
be (can't be?) set by you but rather by the final delivering server.
It'll get that information from SMTP commands rather than header
information.

I had this problem a number of years ago but had to abandon trying to
make it work because of an intervening Exchange system that kept
disallowing my various work-arounds. In any event, a procmail-only
solution wasn't feasible. It looks like you have better control of the
pathways so you might be able to have better luck. Have a look at
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt and see if that helps you. I has
been too long since I played in this sandbox to give you more precise
information.

Rich
Hi Rich

Thanks for the input.

It's got me totally dumbfounded.

The final delivering server is the customer's mail server. When I send a
"normal" email from Thunderbird on a Windoze box it goes via that server
using sendmail. Everything works perfectly and the Return-Path is set to
"me(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld". When I auto-reply using the recipe shown earlier,
the
Return-Path gets set to "me(_at_)servername(_dot_)mydomain(_dot_)tld". Because
"servername" is not advertised via dns (its an internal name), emails
get bounced.

The "From" is perfect in all cases.

Ripping my hair out.

N/