Re: procmail / formail - changing the From address?

2010-11-17 08:12:19
At 17:24 2010-11-15, Bart Schaefer wrote:
Alternately, you need to change your sendmail.cf to use masquerading
so that mail originating from sydsrv56.mydomain.tld is rewritten to
mydomain.tld

Which is a better overall solution, since locally originated messages (say, from other shell accounts) will otherwise have the unresolveable hostname.

Another solution: properly set up the hostname in DNS. I'm unclear as to why anyone would have a _server_ configured with a hostname and not have it in DNS.

As to the OP's claim that the host is masquerading perfectly, it is important to note that sendmail has two daemons: sm-mta (Message Transfer Agent - your public-facing SMTP) and sm-msa (Message Submission Agent - your local-facing interface). Messages submitted via SMTP from remote workstations (or even submitted via SMTP from local scripts) will be subjected to the rules set forth in sendmail.cf, while locally originated messages will be subjected to the submit.cf configuration. If you don't have masquerade properly set up in submit.cf (via proper edits to the submit.mc), then you're going to have issues.

Note that this is SOLIDLY a sendmail configuration issue, and if you need further assistance with it, you should seek it out on an appropriate sendmail group.

I use the $SENDMAIL addr -f envelope_from_addr bit when I want to forward a message but have the post-submission errors go to an address other than the intermediate account. It's worked just fine, though you should want your account to be in the sendmail "trusted users" class, else you're likely to get a warning header injected into the message about an untrusted user 'xxx' setting the address...