Re: Can not get a filter recognised for one email source

2011-02-16 10:52:39
At 08:18 2011-02-16, N.J. Mann wrote:
> It also does
> not "ignore" headers that don't conform to the
> first-character-capitalized format.

I never claimed it did.

Somebody did, and the poor OP here is getting bad advice, paramount being the syntax of a regexp. Tracking down things which have no relationship to their problem won't help them.

OP:

Consider setting up a sandbox (see my .sig for a downloadable one), then throw a saved copy of your message at it (or the whole inbox):

        formail -s procmail -m sandbox.rc < mailbox.mbx

You can then evaluate the verbose sandbox.log to see what it has to say. Note that the standard procmail delivery summary will show the envelope from (not the From:) and the Subject of the message, but there is header extraction of some things (including Subject and From:) to variables, and the log will show you just what is really beeing seen on the message.

I really suspect you're seeing sub-messages within a digest, so it's the DIGEST WRAPPER you need to write a recipe for. This is quite possibly why the message has lowercase 'header' fields (though most digests I've ever seen don't - but then I don't subscribe to lists in digest mode - perhaps these are webforum-to-email generated messages?).