Re: Can not get a filter recognised for one email source

2011-02-16 14:08:32
On Wednesday 16 February 2011 16:32:28 Ed Blackman wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:44:55AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
I get regular emails from one list, that always end up in my Inbox, no
matter

what I put in the recipes.  At the moment these two recipes are in place:
How are you getting to the headers that you pasted into your message?
Directly (using a text editor or viewer to look at the raw message file
or mbox), or through your mail program?

If you are getting them through your mail program, could you look
directly?  I have a suspicion that the headers are RFC2047 encoded: your
mail program decodes them and shows you "from:
Debra(_at_)emblibrary(_dot_)com",
but the literal text in the email might be "from:
=?us-ascii?Q?Debra(_at_)emblibrary(_dot_)com?=" or even "from:
=?us-ascii?B?RGVicmFAZW1ibGlicmFyeS5jb20K?="

RFC2047 encoding was designed for characters that aren't 7-bit clean for
mail transmission, and it doesn't make sense to use them to encode
headers that don't need them, but I've been encountering more and more
email that encodes strings that don't need encoding.  Procmail
unfortunately doesn't support RFC2047 decoding.

I was seeing them in KMail.  However, here, from the horse's mouth, so to
speak, are the same lines (and a little more that might help):

        (envelope-from <Debra(_at_)emblibrary(_dot_)com>)

This is from the message viewed in a text editor.  It looks much the same to
me.

I'm following the discussion and will continue to test the various theories
over the next few days.  It's taken me so long to get to the point of asking
for help that I can happily plod on slowly until I (hopefully) find the best
answer.

Anne