Re: new draft RFC under construction

2003-10-11 10:56:24
In <20031011061937(_dot_)GC2345(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

I'm camping two tents over from Paul Vixie and we had a good talk about
SPF tonight.  As you might expect, he's thinking several steps ahead,
about end-to-end schemes and webs of trust based on degrees of
separation.  His criticisms of SPF (and his original proposal,
MAIL-FROM, from five years ago) are that the reputation schemes may end
up in a Verisign scenario; or that the major ISPs will want to adopt
telephony termination economic models, to the detriment of the public;
the Internet wasn't supposed to be about private clubs and gated
communities.  Still, I think we can reach agreement that it's an
acceptable stopgap measure.

I guess I don't understand the concern here.  SPF doesn't restrict
anyone from sending email from anyone to anyone.  SPF gives domain
owners the ability to ask that others not use their domain name in
certain situations.  This is a straight forward extension of "my
server, my rules" to "my domain, my rules".  SPF increases freedom of
speech by giving domain owners a way of speaking.  No one is forced to
listen to the domain owners.  If you don't want to listen, just don't
check the SPF info.  No one is forcing domain owners to restrict who
can use their domain.

I don't see how there can be a "verislime scenario" or a "telephony
termination economic model".  That may be because I'm not 100% certain
what Paul is referring to.

-wayne