Re: reviewing alternative proposals

2003-10-12 18:52:22
In <20031012024345(_dot_)34B131D7(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com (Meng Weng Wong) writes:

A PDF reviewing the pros and cons of various approaches may be found at:
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg-emailpathverification-presentation.pdf

I last read this PDF when it was first posted to the ASRG mailing
list.  While it contains some useful information, I found holes in the
presented arguments that were so large that I didn't even consider
responding to it.  In particular, things like SPF/RMX are dismissed
due to the Traveling Mailman Problem (addressed in the SPF FAQ) and
the fact that almost all SMTP relays now a days are either known and
trusted by the sender, or by the receiver.  The "complex" situation
that is mentioned is really not that complex.  Oh, and mailing lists
are not SMTP forwarders, but rather recievers and then senders.

-wayne