Miscellaneous Thoughts

2003-10-16 16:39:52
Apologies. I've been lurking and thinking for a while now, and have only now
been able to reasurrect old memories and form some sort of coherent thought
process. please bear with me - sometimes I don't explain an idea too well,
but the logic is there, somewhere! ;-)

I love the idea of SPF. But, despite including checks for all incoming mail
now, I am not too happy about implementation, which seems "clunky". Yes, it
works, and it gives a good idea of how it could work, but...

Worries:
1) The DNS lookup.
4.3.2.1.in-addr_smtp_client.example.com
Argh. An underscore in the hostname.
Yes, I can modify my MTA config to allow queries like this, but I've already
told it that it shouldn't be dealing with SMTP-broken hostnames. In allowing
SPF, I allow all queries. I am not happy about breaking this part of the
config, just to allow SPF.

Could we at least use the dash if we must use this method? Please.

2) The DNS RR
Several people have mentioned their dislike of using the TXT RR. I'm not a
purist, but I'm not sure this is the right thing. See below.

3) The Sender rewriting scheme.
I'm sorry. I think this is horrible, and just plain ugly. It seems far too
complicated, and therefore prone to breaking. I cannot stress this one point
too strongly. Sorry.

Thoughts around these are currently,

1) Do precursors of MX still exist?
RFC883 designated the RR's of
MD - A compressed domain name which specifies a host which
                   has a mail agent for the domain which should be able
                   to deliver mail for the domain
MF  - A compressed domain name which specifies a host which
                   has a mail agent for the domain which will accept
                   mail for forwarding to the domain
MR - A compressed domain name which specifies a mailbox
                   which is the proper rename of the specified mailbox
MB - A compressed domain name which specifies a host which
                   has the specified mailbox
MG - A compressed domain name which specifies a mailbox
                   which is a member of the mail group specified by the
                   domain name

All seem to work OK under BIND, so I assume this is an obsolete record that
still officially exists If it exists, can these RR's not be used for
something useful? If these RR's are obsolete, but still allowable by reolver
libraries, we have a plethora of useful options here. Even the definition for
MD seems appropriate. Though it was written to imly that this was the host
receiving mail (AFAIK), it could eaqually be taken that the MD host is
authorised to send mail for that domain (Mail Delivery?)

Of course, the above RR's return HOSTNAMES, not IP addresses, if we use
RFC883. But, to test the principle, I have the following:

network.itmagic.ltd.uk    1D IN MD mail.itmagic.ltd.uk.
network.itmagic.ltd.uk    1D IN MD another.mail.com.

we have authorised two hosts to permit authorised sending of emails from
anyone(_at_)network(_dot_)itmagic(_dot_)ltd(_dot_)uk(_dot_) (You can test these
records - they should be
publically queriable)

2) Verification process. Are we looking at stopping spam full stop, or making
it difficult to forge and obfuscate who it is from? If it is the former, I am
cynical enough to believe we will fail. If the latter, at least if we can
properly authenticate the sender, we have enough info to persue further
action through complaints to ISP's/courts/etc. ISTM that checking the
envelope <mail from> address should be enough, and only using the address
specified in the headers in the case of the Null Sender <>.

Why? We already have the IP-address of the host connecting to us. If we use
rfc2821 §4.1.4, we can be sure that the HELO argument is the true hostname
(this alone cuts out a huge ammount of my spam).

For forwarding and mailinglists etc, though the From: header remains the same,
the sender doesn't. SPF on the envelope effectively means no horrid rewriting
when forwarding email to the end destination.

There is another potential benefit. Uptake will depend on sysadmins updating
their DNS records. Currently, the in-addr.arpa domain does't work for an
awful lot of hosts. I like SPF because I get a DNS log of
4.3.2.1.in-addr_smtp_client.itmagic.ltd.uk, telling me who is trying to forge
my email. But I am happy with, and competant in maintaining IP-address
mappings. Many admins clearly are not. If we relax the requirement, by
allowing an entry of
itmagic.ltd.uk    1D IN MD mail.itmagic.ltd.uk
a host can verify that the HELO argument matches the MD record. The sysadmin
would fail to get the report of potential forgeries, but everything else
would work as expected, and the RR's are a lot easier to maintain. Ease of
use and simplicity leads to greater uptake, and IP address can be used if
required. Also, with this, we eliminate to play DNS catchup with any outside
SMTP relaying service that we use. It is elegant.