Re: SSL certs

2003-10-17 11:15:26
Somewhat OT:

If we didn't already have VeriSign certs good for another year at my workplace, we'd probably be be using these guys:
http://www.geotrust.com/index_default.htm

I understand they offer much better rates and are starting to develop a decent marketshare. They own the Equifax CAs (Windows recognizes their certs already in other words) and are looking to establish a much better community relationship than VeriSign, so if any of you considering SSL-oriented spam solutions are looking for a better distributor, I'd recommend them first.

I think VeriSign is out of the question at this point for a multitude of reasons; regardless of how someone feels about them based on past differences, there's no escaping the fact that their interest in keeping SiteFinder alive and pretending that HTTP is the only protocal that matters. *mutter* Supporting them would not be in our best interests if it can be avoided. Unfortunately, the Eudora quirk you've mentioned presents an interesting barrier. Has anyone tried hacking in support for other security providers?

Ted Cabeen wrote:
Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:16:49AM -0700, Mark Foster wrote:
| question: why don't existing CAs offer email server certificates? Only
| web server certs, code signing and personal email.

An SSL cert is an SSL cert.  We bought our imap-ssl cert from the same
place we bought our https cert, using exactly the same procedure.

Are there any inexpensive certificate vendors that actually have
decent support among email vendors?  Last time I looked, if you wanted
SSL to work in Eudora without sending up tons of warning messages, you
had to buy a verisign cert, as that was the only root cert that Eudora
recognized.