Re: DNS RRtypes

2003-10-20 10:15:10
Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

* Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> [2003-10-17
15:44-0400]
:
2) If we get rid of the subdomain, how do we design reversed-IP lookups?

  4.3.2.1.DOMAIN?  But maybe that space is already populated.

  Underscore labels are nice; they're like secret dimensions.

How about using "rfcnnnn" instead of "_smtp_client", where nnnn
is the number of the SPF RFC? (when it's eventually assigned)

One problem with that would be that early adopters won't know the
RFC number in advance, but the early adopters could continue to use
_smtp_client and the RFC could recommend checking for _smtp_client
in addition to rfcnnnn. (maybe only until a certain date)

RFCs get superceeded, so if we kept the rule of rfcnnnn in place we would end up using a new number for every version. This leads to an increasing number of DNS requests to maintain compatability across versions. This seems (to me) like a bad idea given that we can avoid it simply by using a standard name for all versions of SPF.

--hachi

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt