A couple of minor questions

2003-10-24 06:21:43
Hi,

I was thinking about SPF last night and two issues occurred to me:

1) If your main domain (example.com) has a couple of MX records, the lower numbered one being the actual mail server, and the higher one being (say) the ISPs mail server (isp.net), then some of the inbound mail that example.com will see will be coming from isp.net. Clearly you cannot run the SPF rules on the mail from isp.net, but what is the recommended way to avoid doing this? What about running SPF internal to your organization? How does the gateway MTA distinguish inbound mail?

2) I would like to see a directive in the TXT record that said 'jump:domain' This is just like include, but doesn't come back. The problem is that you have to have the 'default' and 'exp' fields on the initial domain. As I read the draft, they don't take (useful) effect elsewhere.

Maybe these have already been discussed, but I couldn't find the mailing list archives to check.

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone                    978-ZEN-TOAD (978-936-8623)
Cisco Systems, Inc                                  Boxboro, MA

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt