Re: revisiting the LocalPart mechanism

2003-10-25 18:47:48
On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:07:26PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
   This is what the current draft does.  However, another crowd of power
   users, which perhaps counts some overlap with the first, is strongly
   attached to the idea that the DNS should never have anything but
   [a-z0-9.-] in it.  This objection has some merit, because old DNS
   servers may not support other characters; but that does not stand as
   more than an implementation consideration.  I have not seen a solid
   rationale to support this tradition; I beseech those with open minds
   to put aside the fondness of long custom and carefully reexamine the
   issue.  Strong attachment to old ideas is the reason the Pentagon has
   twice as many bathrooms as it needs.

For these reasons, we may wish to consider eliminating the LocalPart
directive from the SPF draft.

For some power users it might be handy to add an ip mechanism, with
mandatory option, such as ip:1.2.3.4. This would also eliminate the need for
any kind of extra records, _spf or otherwise. Note how this is different
from the a or ptr mechanisms as it would also work for IP addresses without
any kind of DNS attached to it.

Wouldn't that ease administration, implementation and adoption? It's similar
to the a mechanism but could prevent the need to add A records just to get SPF
working as intended.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "In the name of sheer pity, won't someone operate on
cap(_at_)capsi(_dot_)com | Chairman Arafat and put that poor cancer into a

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com