Re: revisiting the LocalPart mechanism

2003-10-27 08:19:38
My take on localpart is that is mostly useful as a logging mechanism. If I (as an administrator) am trying to deploy SPF, then I will start out with softdeny (or even allow). Using localpart allows me to tell who is sending mail that would (in the future) be denied. For example, I might have:

   v=spf1 a ptr mx localpart default=softdeny

This would tell me (from my DNS logs) which users were sending mail from non-approved locations. I can then decide whether to add that location to the list or add an override for that user. In fact the current scheme doesn't (quite) allow me to associate the sending MTA with the user -- the two lookups are just close together in time.

An alternative approach might be to have a macro scheme -- e.g. lookup:%ri.%ru.%d and if this returns an address then the allow is taken (where %ri is reversed %i and %ru is reversed %u). The issue here is what to do when the lookup string gets too long........

This might subsume a bunch of other methods: rhs, localpart, the whitelist rhs.....

This mechanism also allows me to implement arbitrarily complex rules on the server side with a custom DNS server.

Philip

Meng Weng Wong wrote:

The most vocal objections to SPF have come from power users who want to
be able to send mail from their laptop anywhere they go.

The LocalPart mechanism was introduced to mollify them.  Besides, it
seems like a good idea in general.  However, I am reconsidering this
mechanism for two reasons.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt