Re: lookups by macro expansion

2003-10-27 18:05:15
Danger!  Danger!  A lot more people will get pissed off if you bloat the
standard by including multiple mechanisms for the same functionality.

If you think the macroexpansion is a good idea, *do* nuke the existing
methods.

Agreed.  FWIW, my support for the macro solution was at least in part
because it looks like it would reduce the number of necessary methods,
and hence result in a simpler spec.  If we're going to keep all the
existing methods, then I'm against the lookup method; it's extra
complexity for too little gain...

except maybe LocalPart, which is a mess anyway.

And should be removed.

I can see reasons why it may aid deployment.  Consider corporate
environments in which user(_at_)company(_dot_)com is the corporate standard
e-mail address, even though mail is internally routed to departmental
mail servers under separate administrative control.  The localpart
method is necessary if different departments adopt SPF at different
times.

        -roy

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt