Re: SPF reporting mechanism: email restrictions

2003-10-26 11:53:08
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:40:26AM -0800, Richard Pitt wrote:

| Hive off the "ns1" and you have belcarra.com - lookup that one for it's
| SPF record and send the report there if a flag in the SPF record in DNS
| for the customer domain says to do it.
|
| So... you probably should restrict the notice to the domain and
| optionally, after checking the reverse on their DNS addresses, to their
| DNS hosts (and there actually could be several if they have secondaries
| on other ISP's networks)

If I understand you, this means SPF clients will have to traverse a
graph of DNS relationships, enumerate the hosts and domains within N
degrees-of-separation, and build a trust metric for the report argument
based on the results.

This can be done, but is there an easier way to accomplish the same
result?  What if DNS/mail providers add a special subdomain
postmaster.customerdomain.com that routes mail to the service provider
instead of the customer?

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt