rationale for the explanation directive

2003-10-28 11:16:50
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:02:45PM +0100, Rob Kaper wrote:

| SMTP+SPF will change bounce or 550 conditions, but the actual format of
| those falls outside the scope of SPF. Likewise, I'd probably look for a
| smtpd (patch) which doesn't implement the description because I don't need
| third-party definitions of error messages in my servers. I'd prefer it if
| the recommended use of that field would be to add a Received-SPF-Info
| header.

the library returns two strings: one is intended for the connecting
client in the 5xx error message, and the other for the Received-SPF
header.  the exp string goes into the former.  the library makes up its
own text for the latter.

At my supermarket, there is a sheet of paper taped to the top of the ice
cream freezer box that says "Do Not Put Shopping Baskets On Glass".
Under the paper, the glass cover is cracked.  I take this as evidence
that people still need to put their baskets down somewhere, and the sign
isn't going to change their behaviour.  You solve the problem by adding
a little table next to the freezer box.

Suppose an ISP is transitioning its userbase from traveling mailman to
SASL AUTH.  When its traveling mailmen try to send mail, and when that
mail is rejected by an SPF SMTPd, it would be better if the error
message gave them a url with information about how to set up SASL.  In
the absence of an exp field, the SPF SMTPd can only say weakly, "no, go
away."

With the exp field, SPF SMTPds can say, "to the good-faith client,
please see this URL for instructions on how to make your email work."

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt