Re: Hold My SPF/Exim Hand?

2003-11-04 10:35:52
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:29:29AM -0800, spf(_at_)jdl(_dot_)com wrote:

| So, I think I want to add this:
|
|                                 TXT "v=spf1 mx default=deny"
| or maybe this:
|                                 TXT "v=spf1 mx ptr default=deny"

For you the best record would be  TXT "v=spf1 a default=deny"
because there's only the one box.

| At the risk of sounding dumb, can someone clarify the "deny"
| vs "softdeny" for me.  In particular, _when_ does this come
| into play?  I am willing to just state from the onset that I
| am the only publisher of mail from the "jdl.com" domain and
| all others are forged.  Anyone else who actually tries to use
| the domain is forging it.  So I should use "deny" directly, right?

You should use softdeny until April 12th 2004 because:

 you send mail to somebody(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
 somebody(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com forwards to realperson(_at_)example(_dot_)com

example.com does the SPF check.  if it's deny, there's a reject.
softdeny means it's still accepted.

April 12th 2004 is when all forwarding providers should have upgraded to
some kind of sender rewriting scheme so this is no longer a problem.

By April 12th, pobox.com will be SRS-rewriting all SPF-conformant sender
addresses, and other email forwarding providers should too.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt