IPv6

2003-11-07 10:47:08
Hi List,

- ip6:.....um.

well, I don't consider myself a IPv6 Wizard, but a mere "User of the
Technology"...

As far as I can tell, the SPF RFC looks right regarding IPv6 - the ipv6 syntax
is IMHO [::1/128] - at least in postfix, there are other places where you don't
need the [].

The only major point I have is, that if the client connects with a ipv6 ip, the
lookup would be done on a AAAA record, and if the client connects via ipv4 the
lookup would search for A records; if in doubt do try AAAA first and try A
records second.

So, the mx mechanism description would be like:

If the client connects with IPv4, all the A records for all the MX records for
domain are tested in order of MX priority. If the client IP is found among
them, this mechanism matches, if the client connects with IPv6, some is done
but with AAAA records instead of A records.

that said, I sadly miss the "aaaa mechanism".
BTW: there's a small typo on the website listing the mechs; "subne.t" should be
"subnet."

My domain (dominion.ch) is ipv6 aware, and if I did my homework right, all the
PTR should be in place. SPF1 is also enabled... so in case that there are some
RFC-writers or coders around, who need a live system - feel free to do the
lookups you need or contact me, I would be glad if I can be of assistance.

regards
Philipp

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt