Re: new draft-02 released with macros, exists, and exec.

2003-11-08 10:12:28
So, like, the other day Meng Weng Wong mumbled:
I'm doing a lot of coast-to-coast flying these past few weeks.
I'm getting a lot of work done!

This trip, I managed to edit a new revision of the draft-02 which
includes the exec and exists mechanisms.  Also, macro operations are
more fully specified.  Please review.  After a round of feedback I plan
to release it as draft-03.

  http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt

A few days ago I asked about setting up some DNS records
(for jdl.com) and making some Exim ACL mods to start using SPF.

I delinquently haven't added the DNS records yet, though it
was suggested I just need an "A" record.  Furthermore, it
was noted that the posted Exim ACLs are out of date and were
to be "updated RSN".

MWW said:
For you the best record would be  TXT "v=spf1 a default=deny"
because there's only the one box.

So additionally, I actually host a couple domains with different
IP addresses on this one physical machine (virtually hosted sites).
I would need a TXT record and SPF A record for each domain, right?
But now do these interact in some way that suggests that I need
a different mechanism?  If not, I'm modifying the DNS of one of
those domains to look like this:

    $ORIGIN jdl.com.
    @                               IN      NS      ns-a.cirr.com.
                                    IN      NS      ns-b.cirr.com.
                                    IN      MX      10 chrome.jdl.com.
                                    TXT "v=spf1 a default=softdeny"
    chrome                          IN      A       192.207.126.5
    jdl.com.                        IN      A       192.207.126.5

Right?

So, I have a bit of a moment here today.  Any chance that
someone has a new and improved Exim ACL set already?

If not (likely), can someone give me the elevator-speech rundown
of the issue/problem with the existing (posted) ACL set and
what needs to be done to make it compatible with the current draft?
Similarly, which parts should continue to work as they are.

Thanks,
jdl

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt