Re: IPv6 slashes

2003-12-07 11:56:29
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:08:21 -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:50:32PM +0100, Philipp Morger wrote:

| IMHO it's quite a shame that in a new RFC IPv6 has to struggle
| with IPv4 - remember, RFCs sometimes get quite old, so in 20 years when
| IPv4 is just a page in the history books, you might still have this RFC
| in place and I also want to point out, that once this dns records are in
| place, it would take the same effort to upgrade those records to a new
| version. So IMHO it's quite bad to mix v4 and v6 and the thought in me
| came up that: I mean look at it: ::1//128 - anybody who is in the network
| field must ask himself - what where thoses guys thinking?

These are good criticisms.  Could you suggest a better syntax for the
following mechanisms?

 mx
 ip4
 ip6

thanks

OK... I give it a shot...

--------
5.2 'a'

   This mechanism matches if the <sending-host> is one of the
   <target-name>'s IP addresses.

        A = 'a' [ ':' domain-spec ] [ dual-cidr-length ]

   The <sending-host> is compared to the IP address(es) of the
   <target-name>.  If any address matches, the mechanism matches.
----
first of all, I would introduce a method called 'aaaa', with that any
dual-cidr-length
would no longer be needed, as you can have it as follows

a:dominion.ch/29, aaaa:dominion.ch/48

--------
5.3 'mx'

   This mechanism matches if the <sending-host> is one of the MX hosts
   for a domain name.

        MX = 'mx' [ ':' domain-spec ] [ dual-cidr-length ]

   SPF clients first perform an MX lookup on the <target-name>.  SPF
   clients then perform an A lookup on each MX name returned, in order
   of MX priority.  The <sending-host> is compared to each returned IP
   address.  If any address matches, the mechanism matches.
----
I don't seed the need for any cidr at all - because I can it say as follows

mx:dominion.ch, ip4:192.168.1.0/24, aaaa:dolphins.ch/32,
ptr:someotherhost.example.com

That would allow all MXs for dominion.ch, all hosts in 192.168.1.0/24, the
whole IPv6 range
of dolphins.ch and the otherhost.example.com

--------
5.5 'ip4' and 'ip6'

   These mechanisms test if the <sending-host> falls into a given IP
   network.

    IP4             = 'ip4' ':' ipv4-network [     ip4-cidr-length ]
    IP6             = 'ip6' ':' ipv6-network [ '/' ip6-cidr-length ]
    ip4-cidr-length = [ '/' 1*DIGIT ]
    ip6-cidr-length = [ '/' 1*DIGIT ]

   The <sending-host> is compared to the given network.  If they match,
   the mechanism matches.
----
I don't think this section needs any change... I can only assume that this
    IP4             = 'ip4' ':' ipv4-network [     ip4-cidr-length ]
should look like this:
    IP4             = 'ip4' ':' ipv4-network [ '/' ip4-cidr-length ]

--------

To make it short:

    A            = 'a'      [ ':' domain-spec ] [ ip4-cidr-length ]
    AAAA         = 'aaaa'   [ ':' domain-spec ] [ ip6-cidr-length ]
    MX           = 'mx'     [ ':' domain-spec ]
    PTR          = 'ptr'    [ ':' domain-spec ]
    IP4          = 'ip4'      ':' ipv4-network   [ ip4-cidr-length ]
    IP6          = 'ip6'      ':' ipv6-network   [ ip6-cidr-length ]

--------

One note for developers, or the RFC-Editor of SPF, it might look obvious but I
want
to point out that there might be a certain "hole" in the ptr mechanism:

assume I know that MTA mta.example.com allows mail from
ptr:backuphost.example.com - when
I enter a PTR for my IP that points to backuphost.example.com then I'm in.

You have to verify that the IP's PTR also has a matching forward record! (which
in
turn might IMHO an A, AAAA or CNAME record)

my 2c
Philipp

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt