PTR validation

2003-12-11 15:30:02
On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 07:56:29PM +0100, Philipp Morger wrote:
| OK... I give it a shot...

sorry, i didn't get to look at this message until now.

| One note for developers, or the RFC-Editor of SPF, it might look obvious but
I want
| to point out that there might be a certain "hole" in the ptr mechanism:
|
| assume I know that MTA mta.example.com allows mail from
ptr:backuphost.example.com - when
| I enter a PTR for my IP that points to backuphost.example.com then I'm in.
|
| You have to verify that the IP's PTR also has a matching forward record!
(which in
| turn might IMHO an A, AAAA or CNAME record)

that's true; i have put in some pseudocode in the latest version of the
draft to explain PTR forward validation.

5.4 'ptr'

   This mechanism tests if the <sending-host>'s name is within a
   particular domain.

        PTR = 'ptr' [ ':' domain-spec ]

   First the <sending-host>'s name is looked up using this procedure:
   perform a PTR lookup against the <sending-host>'s IP.  For each
   record returned, validate the host name by looking up its IP address.
   If the <sending-host>'s IP is among the returned IP addresses, then
   that host name is validated.

   Pseudocode:
     PTR-lookup(sending-host_IP) -> sending-host_names
     for each name in (sending-host_names) {
       A-lookup(name) -> IP_addresses
       if the sending-host_IP is one of the IP_addresses {
         validated_sending-host_names += name
       }
     }

   Check all validated hostnames to see if they end in the <target-name>
   domain.  If any do, this mechanism matches.  If no validated hostname
   can be found, or if none of the validated hostnames end in the
   <target-name>, this mechanism fails to match.

   Pseudocode:
     for each name in (validated_sending-host_names) {
       if name ends in <domain-spec>, return match.
       if name is <domain-spec>, return match.
     }

   This mechanism matches if the <target-name> is a parent node of the
   <sending-host>, or if the <target-name> and the <sending-host> are
   the same.  For example: "mail.example.com" is within the domain
   "example.com", but "mail.bad-example.com" is not.  If a validated
   hostname is the <target-name>, a match results.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt