Re: IPv6 slashes

2003-12-07 12:05:36

OK... I give it a shot...

I rather agree with Phillip:

MX should designate a list of single hosts only, no netmask allowed. --
it is superfluous to the A directive -- I can't think of a good use-case
where you'd want to allow the netblocks of all the MXes to send -- and
even in the few cases that's likely to happen, netblocks aren't all the
same size now. (My ISP has two /25 and two /24 ... allowing mx/24 would
be bad, as it would authorize too much, and mx/25 too little.)

Better instead to say "mx a:subnet1.domain/24 subnet2.domain/25
subnet3....."

and then, for IP6, have an aaaa or a6 type.  Problem neatly solved,
clean simple easy to understand, future-proof spec. (I mean, imagine
what happens when IPv8 comes along -- and suddenly you have
mx/24/48/10212 ....)

Ari

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com