Re: SPF logging at the dns server

2003-12-12 08:23:22
I do exactly this -- except that I use tinydns as my DNS server. It gives me one line of log data for each request. It is suprising what junk you get as well. Most of the traffic appears to be probes for something.....

Philip

Greg Connor wrote:

Forgive me if this is a frequent topic... I recently joined and could not easily find archives for the list.

I would like to log whether anyone is looking up my spf records, and for which hosts. Specifically I was thinking of something as hinted in the draft, like
 v=spf1 exists:%{ir}.%{l1r+-}._spf.%{d} +mx +ptr -all
 which might expand to "1.2.0.192.someuser._spf.example.com".

So, even if I have an _spf domain with no data in it, I could log the queries against my DNS servers and get an idea of who is checking SPF, and who is sending the bad mail.

Has anyone done something like this? I will probably do so just as an experiment. If someone has done this, I would be interested in your named config info, and/or let me know if there is interest and I will update folks on my results.

Thanks
gregc

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt