Re: SPF logging at the dns server

2003-12-17 12:27:50
In <2508562412(_dot_)1071657963(_at_)[172(_dot_)23(_dot_)65(_dot_)45]> Greg
Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> writes:

There were only 16 queries... Not a lot, but perhaps my domain is not
as spammy as I thought it was :)

My bet is that the lack of queries has much more to do with the lack
of MTAs checking SPF.

Of the IP addresses used to look up the SPF records, three were in
*.pobox.com, and one was test.dnsstuff.com.  The other two are in the
cox.net and cfwy.com domains.

So, you have gotten 16 queries from 5 domains.  I don't think that is
too bad, considering how long it has been since the SPF spec was
frozen.

As far as SPF usage goes, the "best guess" method does DNS lookups on
the trusted-forwarder.org DNSWL, of which, my DNS server is one of 5.
I am currently averaging around 1200 lookups/day (half are for the IP,
half are for the domain).  That isn't much, but many lookups will be
cached and many will go to other DNS servers, and many MTAs may not be
using the "best guess" method.

-wayne