Re: Getting SPF out there

2003-12-15 22:17:34
So, like, the other day Meng Weng Wong mumbled:

one of them laughed and said not to bother; that the IETF now is more
trouble than it's worth; and that deployment should come first and RFC
approval second.

Let's see.  Seems to me that many RFCs were essentially a codification
of best practices and were an attempt to standardize existing, deployed
implementations even.

whether a MUST should be a SHOULD or if a SHOULD must be a MUST, that
sort of thing.

Heh.

Now we should start thinking more about adoption and promotion and
getting SPF out there.

Right.  I'm still collecting a list of ideas and places to hit up,
if anyone thinks that will be beneficial.

  ISPs: let's start writing to ISPs and asking them to publish SPF
      records.

Do you think this should be coordinated, or driven by a "point-person"?
Or should just anyone with an initiative or contact send a request
wherever they want?  Do you want "I sent $SpfFormLetter to $ISP."
reports back to the list?  To avoid duplications?  Or so obtain
re-inforcing duplicate requests, as needed?

  Big Web Domains: SPF was designed with eBay and PayPal in mind as two
      of the biggest beneficiaries.  I wrote to them saying it was ready
      if they wanted to use it.  I haven't heard anything back.  Perhaps
      their customer service desks are too good an insulator.

Likely.  Have you tried to send spoof reports to them?  Yikes.
Please, make it hard to help you... :-)

 If anybody on this list knows anybody at eBay ...

Possibly off of spam-l?

On the MTA side, we want to get our plugins into as many distributions
as possible.

  Exim: The ACL is on the downloads page.  Can we get it into the Exim
      distribution?

So, the ACL isn't technically part of the Exim distribution.
A better plan would be to attach it to, say, the Debian distribution
that sets up the default configuration and ACL sets.  They (Debian,
at least) have a clear place for it in their default exim distro.
Relatedly, send it to:

    Tom Kistner (tom(_at_)duncanthrax(_dot_)net)
    http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/

I think it would be good to have a version of a client/daemon mechanism.
I was unable to get the published spfd to actually daemonize.  I didn't
look deeply, but it looks like it may just need to do the extra fork()
and disassociate from the terminal.  But in any event, I think a version
of the spfquery that contacts the daemon would be nice to have.  I also
threw together a cribbed /etc/init.d/spfd.

jdl