Getting SPF out there

2003-12-15 15:55:40
On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:12:13PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| What is to be avoided at all costs here is letting people believe that SPF
| is somehow waiting on ratification by the IETF. That is the potential
| killer.

Thanks for expressing that sentiment so clearly.

At recent conferences I have discussed SPF with a number of IETF
experts, past IAB members, etc.  When I told them I wanted to put SPF
through RFC standards process out of respect for the IETF, every single
one of them laughed and said not to bother; that the IETF now is more
trouble than it's worth; and that deployment should come first and RFC
approval second.

I'm still getting good feedback off-list about minor phrasing issues,
whether a MUST should be a SHOULD or if a SHOULD must be a MUST, that
sort of thing.

Now we should start thinking more about adoption and promotion and
getting SPF out there.  Wayne posted an excellent article at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200312/0141.html

On the publisher side,

  ISPs: let's start writing to ISPs and asking them to publish SPF
        records.

  Big Web Domains: SPF was designed with eBay and PayPal in mind as two
      of the biggest beneficiaries.  I wrote to them saying it was ready
      if they wanted to use it.  I haven't heard anything back.  Perhaps
      their customer service desks are too good an insulator.  If
      anybody on this list knows anybody at eBay ...

On the MTA side, we want to get our plugins into as many distributions
as possible.

  Postfix: I have submitted to Wietse a policy daemon that implements SPF.
           I am hoping he'll include it in the 2.1 distribution.

  Sendmail: The Milter is on the website.  In the milter subculture, is
            there anything else we can do to get it downloaded more widely?

  Qmail: There is support for SPF in qpsmtpd's CVS, but I don't know if
         it's bundled in the distribution.

  Exim: The ACL is on the downloads page.  Can we get it into the Exim
        distribution?

  Microsoft Exchange: ...

On the antivirus software side,

  Declude JunkMail: have already said they're going to implement SPF.

  SpamAssassin: is represented by JM on this list, and support is going to
                go into the next devel version.

  MailArmory: already on board.

  ActiveState/Sophos PerlMX/PureMessage: plan to implement, no details.