Re: Goal of SPF

2003-12-16 15:54:47
Le 03-12-15, à 23:38, Edward Ned Harvey a écrit :
Greg and I have come a long way in understanding each other in a couple
emails. As it turns out, I do not have a misconception of what spf is or how it works, or how smtp works or anything -- I had a misconception about
what spf *wants* to do.

I agree with you, SPF should not pretend to be made to stop spam. It's made to stop email forgeries.

I do feel that sender verification is vital to stopping spam -- without
sender verification, we still have no way of tracking down a spammer after a
spam attack.  (Those who immediately say "sasl" here -- read on to the
bottom.) Granted, the pool of people under suspicion after a spam attack is smaller using spf than it is without -- the people under suspicion might be
reduced from 6 billion to 1 million, or even a few hundred thousand.

But if we had sender verification, the number of people under suspicion
after a spam attack is reduced to one, maybe a few -- The true user, and the people who would be able to crack his/her password or whatever authorization
mechanism is in place to identify him/her.

I am willing to concede that spf will reduce spam if widely adopted. But that's not good enough for me. I intend to stop spam. And I believe that
the sender verification proposal(s) are no more complex than spf, with
greater benefits.

I'm interested, do you have any links?

Best,
GFK's