Re: I'm just learning about SPF and I have a few qu estions.

2003-12-23 12:28:03
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:11:09AM -0800, Greg Connor wrote:
--On Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:18 PM -0500 "Steven W. Orr"
<steveo(_at_)syslang(_dot_)net> wrote:

Thanks Marc, but is there any problem associated with zoneedit not
running  SPF code at their end, since they not only act as my DNS but
also as my  secondary MX?

Some spammers will send to your secondary MX without even trying your
primary MX.  So if you leave them set up as secondary you may still get
stuff that slips through via that route.  But, I think you have some time
before this will start to make a difference.

It is a *lot* of spammers, and it makes a difference *right now*.

Spammers know that there are setups like this one where the secondary mx
has fewer spam controls and the primary mx trusts the secondary.  We see
spam to our 'secondary' mx every day; it handles nearly zero legitimate
mail.

hdp.