Some SPF statistics

2003-12-29 09:41:43
FWIW, using SPF we have already blocked 71 spams using 13 different domains.

Although that only accounts for a very small percentage of spam (it looks like around 1 in 1250 spams in our spamtraps are getting caught by SPF), I think that is definitely significant. Note that the results do not include a best guess or hard-coded SPF rules (so it only includes domains that publish SPF records -- otherwise, the capture ratio would be much higher).

It is also interesting to note that not a single spam in our spamtraps has received a result of PASS (out of over 80,000 of them). And, not a single legitimate E-mail received a result of FAIL (out of about 2,000 of them). About 5% of our legitimate mail received a PASS (which is artificially high, since much of our legitimate mail comes from domains that are more likely to have an SPF record than random domains).
                                          -Scott

---