getting SPF into distributions

2004-01-06 13:35:20
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:09:19PM -0800, Kelson Vibber wrote:

| In the day since we turned this on, we've had 6 hits

BTW, I know some people might find that number dismayingly low, but I'm
actually kind of glad that the numbers are low; less mass means less
inertia means it's easier to change course if we need to.  Since the
spec was frozen no major issues have come up, and we haven't needed any
course corrections.  But I'd like to hold on to maneuverability for as
long as I can.

Wietse has agreed to bundle an SPF plugin into Postfix, and I've written
to the sendmail debian package maintainer, and the LJ article when it
comes out will draw more users.  Contrary to Bellovin, I do believe that
SPF, imperfect as it is, is ready for prime time, and I think we're
reasonably well prepared for the tipping point.  The tipping point has a
way of arriving sooner than anyone expects.  I'm glad the wizard is done
and how-to articles are in the pipeline.  The website could probably use
some tightening up and the SRS implementations need to be proven.

Still, what would help most right now is getting SPF into MTAs --- if
not in the standard source tarball, then into distribution packages.

Postfix is done; who can help get SPF into Sendmail or Exim?