SPF and reputation schemes

2004-01-09 12:30:10

I hope that this is not too off-topic. I'm interested in understanding what happens in a world where SPF has wide adoption and where many companies are using a 3rd party relay provider for various reasons.

If I assume:

1. Some companies will use a 3rd party relay for performance (or other) reasons
2. Some companies will use a 3rd party relay for marketing reasons - and they don't want to co-mingle their "corporate" email with their bulk email.

Now I have legitimate companies who are publishing the IP addresses of these 3rd parties, and I have "marketers" who are publishing the IP addresses of these 3rd parties.

What does this do to any notion of a reputation scheme? Won't the world quickly polarize into 100% good, and everything else? Who's reputation would you be looking at? Because these outbound IP addresses now serve multiple organizations, do they end up with, in essence, the reputation of the least reputable organization who uses them?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan Nadir
dan(_at_)frontbridge(_dot_)com

FrontBridge Technologies

voice (310) 302-0532
fax (310) 301-6032

This message is fully protected from viruses by FrontBridge's TrueProtect(TM)
Message Management Suite - the leading email security solution for enterprises.
Learn why FrontBridge is eWEEK Labs Analyst's Choice and how you can be
protected from viruses and spam 24/7 - visit: www.frontbridge.com

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.