Re: SRS Question

2004-01-09 13:14:01
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:25:53PM -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
| According to the article shown at http://spf.pobox.com/srs.html, there
| is a CPAN perl module Mail::SRS
|
| I can't find it.  Is there a non-CPAN location I can download it?

Sorry, Mail::SRS is a little behind on CPAN.

You can get it at http://spf.pobox.com/Mail-SRS-current.tar.gz

It is very very alpha.

| And is there a better explanation about how a cookie should be used, or
| should that be site-dependent?

Each site makes up a secret.  The secret is used when making a cookie.
You put a cookie into the rewritten address to prevent open relaying.

| Furthermore, in the RFC draft it specifies that the rewritten address
| must start with "bounce-", but shouldn't this be either "bounce-" or
| "bounce+" depending on what your MTA's extension address character is?
| '-' is fine for qmail, but some mailers use '+'.

The draft is not authoritative and hasn't been touched in a while.  It
gives some ideas about how to do things but forwarders may, in the end,
decide to each do things their own way, so there may be less need for a
standard protocol.

The Mail::SRS library gives you your choice of delimiter, so you can
pick "-" and "+" or whatever else you would like.

We ended up creating a new domain bounce.pobox.com.  All mail to that
domain is fed to a program that handles SRS reversing.