alternative solution to the forwarding problem: "Forwarded" header

2004-01-13 15:04:03

Meng Weng Wong quotes Stephen Satchell as saying:

|   Forwarded:
|    to new-user(_at_)new-domain(_dot_)com
|    for this-user(_at_)this-domain(_dot_)com
|    by forwarding-server.example.com
|    id CD43CAB37
|    ; Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:44:30 -0500 (EST)
|

| The server would then be free to use an envelope source address of
| this-user(_at_)this-domain(_dot_)com for the forwarded message.  If there
is a
| downstream bounce, it would go to the "right" person, the person who
| needs to fix his damn forwarding.

Hmm, if the bounce goes to this-user(_at_)this-domain(_dot_)com, it would surely
be forwarded to new-user(_at_)new-domain(_dot_)com which, if there's some
problem
with the latter account, will generate another bounce.  Bounce loops
are not pretty.  I speak from experience.

In general there's no way to reach the person who needs to fix the
forwarding, because his mail is bouncing!  The only reasonably thing
to do is to notify the sender that the mail was undeliverable.

        -roy