Re: implementation question

2004-01-13 14:59:40
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:39:59PM -0600, Roger wrote:

| From what I understand putting ?all is really wish-washy.  It says that
| sending from this ip is unknown.  Depending on the behavior of your spam
| filter or MTA this option won't carry much weight from what I see.

I'm guessing SpamAssassin will distinguish between

 - fail
 - unknown (record exists)
 - unknown (record does not exist)

and score the first very negatively and the second slightly negatively.

| The only way I'm seeing SPF to really work is if the domain switches to
| -all. Thats going to take some work for most ISPs.  However once in place
| the SPF should have some teeth...

All in good time.  Nobody will thank us if we break things.  We need to
go slowly and solve the forwarding problems to keep the FPs down.  Then
we can ask everybody to switch to -all.

Right now we need:

1) more publishers
2) a solid sender rewriting scheme
3) SPF patches to go into MTA distributions
4) SRS patches to go into MTA distributions
5) forwarding providers to do rewriting too