Re: implementation question

2004-01-13 13:39:59
Kelson Vibber wrote:

No, there should be no problems. Publishing your own SPF records and checking other people's SPF records are completely independent. (Well, expect for the fact that if no one published them, there would be nothing to check!)

Ok - thanks.  Just needed a second opinion on that one..

This seems to be the approach most people are taking. It's what we're doing at SpeedGate, and appears to be what AOL has been doing (at least I haven't heard anything about AOL checking SPF records yet.)

Good point.  I've heard AOL is publishing SFP records - nothing about how thats
effected mail or if they're checking...  Guess by publishing their SPF records
they are attempting to preserve their domain integrety.

I'll have another question about SPF..

From what I understand putting ?all is really wish-washy.  It says that sending
from this ip is unknown.  Depending on the behavior of your spam filter or MTA
this option won't carry much weight from what I see.

The only way I'm seeing SPF to really work is if the domain switches to -all.
Thats going to take some work for most ISPs.  However once in place the SPF
should have some teeth...