Re: implementation question

2004-01-14 03:34:53
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

I'm guessing SpamAssassin will distinguish between

 - fail
 - unknown (record exists)
 - unknown (record does not exist)

and score the first very negatively and the second slightly negatively.

NO! No, no, and indeed NO!
If I've not clarified myself enough there, NO! This is a very very bad idea.

It is ESSENTIAL that a ?all record fares no worse than no record in spam checking, otherwise publishing SPF records INCREASES the likelihood that some of a domain's outgoing mail will be treated as spam, and people will refuse to implement it.

I now have about a dozen friends and colleagues covering a far larger number of domains who are prepared to implement SPF. This lies entirely on my assertions that publishing SPF records will not harm the "reputation" of any ?all mails.

If this is not the case, they (and, I would expect, many more) will REFUSE to publish records.

Please EXCUSE the capitalisation, but I cannot make the above point firmly enough. And I may be channeling ziggy...

        Wechsler