Re: IMX Records

2004-01-13 17:43:59
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 05:33:03PM -0700, Rick Stewart wrote:
| Heads up to everyone, but a draft of a specification for an IMX
| (Internal Mail eXchanger) record was published today:
|
| http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-laforet-deasey-imxrecords-00.txt
|
| The idea is that mail should only be accepted from mail exchangers, and
| adding a new RRtype for internal-only exchangers should facilitate this.

I'm not surprised to see this proposal; when ASRG-RMX was active we saw
a new designated-sender-related proposal show up every week or two.
This one isn't a designated sender scheme.  It's more similar to DHVP.

  3. MX Server Protocol

    MX servers scattered throughout the Internet should change their
    philosophy to not accept mail from any client unless the mail client
    resolves as a mail exchanger or as a client internal to its own system.

    [...]

    The recipient system mail servers would adamantly refuse to accept mail
    from any client that is not an MX.  The worst consequence is that Email
    may be bounced by a non-compliant system.

Those design elements might work against widespread adoption.

Comments to the IMX proposal authors: Are you familiar with the following?

 - split-horizon DNS
 - MSA on port 587
 - The "implicit-MX" rule
 - http://spf.pobox.com/

If you would like to direct your energies toward the SPF effort, you
would be welcome on the spf-discuss list.

cheers
meng